Friday, November 4, 2016

Whoops, I lost

Well I guess I'll just go ahead and admit it.
I got sick. I don't ever get sick. I'm not used to it, I swear. If I was, I probably could've continued, but I couldn't.
I failed at the 30 days of Floyd thing. THERE I SAID IT.
Whatever sickness I had, it was just an energy drain. It wasn't even the worst thing ever, but juggling school and sickness meant that I just didn't have time for Floyd.
I did start writing something when I was sick, though, which I will post here after this page break, as is. Because I love things unfinished for some reason. There's some weird life in it.
I ended up wanting to do the first Dark Side concert because it is special for many reasons. I think I even say that somewhere. I already did a Dark Side concert here, and I danced around things I already said. So there.
I will be back for the Early Years box set. I am throwing a party just for it. There will be pulled pork and plates of ketchup packets that spell out "it's only a lifetime".


January 20, 1972

Brighton Dome, Brighton, England

Welcome to the month of Pink Floyd, where I’ll be celebrating the 30-day countdown until the release of the Early Years box set. Technically, it’s 31 days, but I’ll be celebrating the 31st day differently… maybe. I’m bad at commitment.
The plan is to look at 30 random concerts from Pink Floyd history, even going past the content covered in the Early Years.

And since I’ve mentioned it before, and because I’m sick and need a shorter concert, here’s the first Dark Side concert on January 20, 1972

You sneaky people think I’m going to talk about the Dark Side of the Moon tour. I already have! I’ve outsmarted you! I don’t want to repeat myself, so go find that first 1972 concert I did.
So here we have the very first Dark Side concert, which is special because they couldn’t even finish the Dark Side set. They had to stop a little bit into Money. So what do we get in return, a special concert full of rarities as a fallback? …no.
The best extra we got was Atom Heart Mother, which is only special because
a.       It was played 5 times during this tour, 3 times with Dark Side as part of the set. It was also the last tour with the song.
b.       It wasn’t the last song.
So let’s just enjoy the fact that, hey, this is the very first Dark Side concert. The first time they were trying this material out in public.

I wish there was an intro in this, but it starts with Speak to Me right away. It’s the same as normal, with teases of future song like Money with the cash register. The taper is really enjoying the band walk out to stage for some reason. There were probably some nice effects up in front that no one has see up until this point, because it is really impressing the hell out of both the taper and the crowd. Stuff we take for granted now, like slopes in gaming.

Breathe starts almost by itself; not much of Speak to Me to cover the intro up. No slide guitar, and no keyboards audible in the recording (but they’re there), just drums, rhythm guitar and a more involved bass part. I’m a little surprised that this song is not different to what you might imagine, except maybe for Gilmour’s voice being a little lower pitch and more gravely.

The Travel Section is a little (big) jam section. This is the major difference between early and later concerts. The Travel Section is slower than even for early Dark Side standards, and the jamming isn’t too great. The piano solo is nice and jazzy, though, and the guitar solo after that is nice enough.


Time is next. It starts separate from The Travel Section and is, like usual early Time, slower than the final version. 

No comments:

Post a Comment